Monday, April 28
Registration Costs: Full Day – $50.00, Half Day – $20.00. Please note, if you choose the half day option, lunch is not included.
Junior Common Room (in R. Gushue Hall), Memorial University CAMPUS MAP
The theme of this year’s conference, Head in the Cloud, Feet on the Ground, has a dual purpose. On one hand, we aim to celebrate the ways in which we are embracing — and grappling with — electronic collections and services in our libraries while simultaneously striving to meet the needs of our users “on the ground” in our libraries and communities. On the other hand, we want to know: What innovations are you dreaming up? What projects are you running with in your library? What realities are bringing you back down to earth?
Pre-Conference Wine and Cheese
April 27, 7:00 – 9:00 pm
Location: Basilica Museum (200 Military Rd, in the building attached to the Basilica, on the left hand side)
Guest speaker: Larry Dohey, Manager of Collections and Special Projects at The Rooms, Provincial Archives Division
Included with Conference Registration
Monday, April 28:
8:30-9:00 am: Registration
9:00-9:15 am: Opening Remarks
9:15-10:00 am: Keynote – Azzo Rezori, CBC Newfoundland & Labrador
10:00-10:45 am: Beth Maddigan, Curriculum Materials Centre, Memorial University Libraries – “Connecting Spaces: Children’s Community Digital Literacy”
10:45-11:00 am: Break
11:00-11:45 am: Wendy Rogers, Queen Elizabeth II Library, Memorial University Libraries – “Adventures in Wikipedia Editing”
11:4 5am-12:30 pm: Lisa Goddard, Scholarly Communications Librarian, Memorial University Libraries – “A Gentle Introduction to Linked Data”
12:30-1:00 pm: Advocacy Update
1:00-2:00 pm: Lunch
2:00-3:00 pm: NLLA Annual General Meeting
3:00-3:15 pm: Break
3:15-4:15 pm: Lightning Rounds:
- Jewel Cousens , Newfoundland & Labrador Public Libraries – “Breast Cancer Resources Project with the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation”
- Amanda Tiller, Queen Elizabeth II Library, Memorial University Libraries – “The Irish Studies Collection”
- Vicki Murphy, Newfoundland & Labrador Public Libraries – “Re-design of the 3rd floor of the Arts & Culture Centre Library”
- Jeannie Bail, Queen Elizabeth II Library and Becky Smith, Music Resource Centre, Memorial University Libraries – “Check it out! Connecting Collections with the Community”
- Jewel Cousens , Newfoundland & Labrador Public Libraries – “Felt Storyboards”
4:15-4:30 pm: Closing Remarks
April 28, 6:00 pm
Location: Press & Bean Restaurant (291 Water Street)
Join your colleagues at the end of the day. No set menu. All attendees pay individually at the restaurant. NOTE: Seating is limited, so reserve your place when you register!
CALL FOR PROPOSALS (IS NOW CLOSED):
The NLLA is a diverse community, and we are seeking submissions on a range of topics. Possibilities include:
- Electronic Resources
- Community Outreach and Programming
- Special Collections and Archives
- Open Access
- Library as Space
- Website Design
The committee is requesting submissions for one of two types of presentations:
- 30 minute presentations with 15 minutes for questions
- Lightning Round Sessions: 5-8 minute long presentations for those with valuable research, program information and events, and knowledge to share, in a shorter timeframe.
Presentation proposals (maximum 1 page) should be submitted to the Chair of the programming committee, Catherine Lawton.
CALL FOR “AWESOME LIBRARY PHOTOS”: Submit photos of cool displays, library staff, Halloween costumes, fun happenings, author visits, anything that embodies the idea of progress or culture in your library, or anything you’d like to brag about! We’ll have a slideshow featuring all the cool things that libraries around the province have done this year and the amazing people who work there. Email photos in either .jpeg or .png file format to Catherine Lawton. Please include the following information: the library name and an explanation of how this year’s theme is captured. Deadline: April 18.